Can Oil Pulling Really Remove Toxins From The Body?

We say time and time again, “Your mouth is a ‘window’ to the rest of your body,” and there is growing medical research to show a direct link between oral health and a multitude of chronic diseases. But this is something that ancient healing traditions have known about for thousands of years, namely that of Ayurveda, an ancient Indian tradition that pays particular attention to the examination of the mouth in order to diagnose a wide variety of diseases. 

As we mentioned in our article ‘Ayurveda: An Ancient Practice that Zaps away Toxins’, a popular Ayurvedic practice that more and more people are beginning to include as part of their daily oral routine, is oil pulling – the act of swishing oil in your mouth in order to rid bacteria and toxins. 

Oil pulling is one of the best ways to remove bacteria from the mouth and promote healthy teeth and gums. In fact, many practitioners find that oil pulling is even more effective than flossing, and also one of the best natural ways to whiten your teeth.

Dr Bruce Fife, author of The Coconut Oil Miracle and now new bestseller Oil Pulling Therapy, has spent most of his life researching and documenting the incredible healing benefits of oil pulling and says that the practice of oil pulling is “one of the most powerful, most effective methods of detoxification and healing I have ever experienced in my career as a naturopathic physician”.

Dr. Fife also explains,

The bacteria and micro-organisms that inhabit our oral cavities have a direct influence on our health. Oil pulling essentially ‘soaks up’ disease-causing bacteria and toxins from around our teeth and gums”

some amazing benefits of oil pulling:

  • Removes ama (toxins) and bacteria from the mouth and body
  • Fights bad breath
  • Balances the mouth’s pH
  • Whitens teeth
  • Helps prevent heart disease
  • Helps heal acne
  • Reduces inflammation
  • Helps heal bleeding gums
  • Strengthens the jaw and gums
  • Boosts immune system
  • Supports body detoxification

The power of oil pulling

Teeth take up about 15 % of the mouth so when we brush our teeth, we are missing out on cleaning the other 85 %, which still remains bacteria-ridden! The bacteria left in the mouth then gets reabsorbed back into the body, which weakens the immune system and causes a whole variety of different diseases. 

Oil pulling gets to the rest of that 85 %.

You might be wondering how the simple act of swishing oil around in the mouth can result in such incredible health benefits…

Oil pulling works by attracting the fatty membranes of disease-causing organisms, much like a magnet, and pulls them from their hiding places while keeping them in the oil solution (that’s why it’s important that you do not swallow the oil). This greatly reduces the bacterial load in the body and gives your immune system the ultimate boost!

How to oil pull!

  1. First thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything, we recommend you begin with another great Ayurvedic technique – tongue scraping!
  2. After you’ve scraped your tongue, swish about a tablespoon of either coconut or sesame oil around your mouth for about 10-20 minutes.
  3.  Make sure the oil is swished evenly over your teeth, gums and front and back of your mouth.
  4. When the oil turns thin and whitish in color, spit out and rinse with warm water
  5. Brush your teeth as normal. We recommend brushing with our all-natural tooth and gum powder, which uses 100% natural ingredients that are packed full of vitamins and minerals essential for keeping your teeth and gums healthy.
  6. It is recommended to practice oil pulling 3-5 times a week for maximum benefit.

Although oil pulling has proven to be an effective ancient method of removing toxins from the mouth and body, it should not be used as a substitute for brushing and flossing!

If you have gum disease or any other serious oral condition, we recommend you consult your dentist before trying oil pulling.

What’s good for your gums is good for you!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Be the first to receive all our news, offers and natural oral health tips and articles.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *